Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Hunger Games 25 - 27

Quote Option
Choose a quote from the book, write it at the top of your entry and then write about:
 Commentary on important decisions made by characters, ideas expressed, or key events.


http://ale-la-pazza1.tumblr.com 
The Hunger Games have now ended. Peeta and Katniss were successful in killing Cato and thought now that they would both be crowned the winners until Claudius Templesmith’s voice announced, "Greetings to the final contestants of the Seventy-fourth Hunger Games. The earlier revision has been revoked. Closer examination of the rule book has disclosed that only one winner many be allowed. Good luck and may the odds be ever in your favor." (Page 342) They couldn't decided who should go home. Peeta wanted Katniss to just end his life now before the game makers would unleash more creatures upon the arena. Although Katniss could not bear doing so and remembered the poisonous berries that they saved in the pack. She held them out to Peeta and on the count of three they were going to eat them. One. Maybe I'm wrong. Two. Maybe they don't care if we both die. Three! It's too late to change my mind. I lift my head to my mouth, taking one last look at the world. The berries have just passed my lips when the trumpets begin to blare. The frantic voice of Claudius Templesmith shouts above them. "Stop! Stop! Ladies and gentlemen, I m pleased to present the victors of the Seventy-fourth Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark! I give you -- the tributes of District Twelve!" (Page 345) Despite Peeta losing his leg, Katniss and him had won the Hunger Games.


http://www.usmagazine.com 
During the Hunger Games Haymitch strongly suggested that they both followed on the Star Crossed Lovers from District 12. By doing so both Katniss and Peeta were able to survive and win the games. It was already obvious to Haymitch and the whole audience that Peeta was truly in love with Katniss. When the new rule change was announced in chapter 18, everyone could infer that Katniss cared about him when she immediately shouted his name and went looking for him. During the interview following the Hunger Games on page 368 Caesar asked Katniss, "When did you realize you were in love with him?  She replied, "That's a hard one..." When Caesar stepped in and mention when she shouted for him after the new rule change. By now it seemed like the two of them were actually in love with each other until they boarded the train on page 370 and 371. With the capitol growing farther away every second, I begin to think of home. Of Prim and my mother. Of Gale. I excuse myself to change out of my dress and into a plain shirt and pants. Peeta and I walk down the track hand in hand, and I can't find anything to say now that we're alone. He stops to gather a bunch of wildflowers for me. When he presents them to me, I work hard to look pleased. Because he can't know that the pink-and-white flowers are the tops of wild onions and only remind me of the hours I've spent gathering them with Gale. Gale. The idea of seeing Gale in a matter of hours makes my stomach churn. But why? I can't quite frame it in my mind. I only know that I feel like I've been lying to someone who trusts me. Or more accurately, to two people. I've been getting away with it up to this point because of the Games. But there will be no Games to hind behind back home.  After Haymitch told them to just keep it up in the District, Peeta didn't understand and asked Katniss what he meant. as she explained that the berries made it seem rebellious. Peeta questioned, "So, what you're saying is, these last few days and then I guess...back in the arena...that was just some strategy you two worked out." Katniss tried to explain her self but just didn't know how to. Peeta walked back to the train as Katniss stood there thinking  He's not being fair to me. We were strangers. I also wanted to tell him how much I already miss him.  


http://crushable.com 




Since at the end of the book the author kept including Gale in Katniss' thoughts, I think in the following book Catching Fire is when Katniss will have to face seeing Gale and everyone else in District 12. It's almost as if Katniss is torn between Peeta and Gale. Before the Games Gale was her hunting partner and helped her family out. Meanwhile during the Games Peeta saved her by holding Cato off so she could escape and gave her support though out the Games. I think it will be interesting to read Catching Fire and see how Katniss is effected by winning the Hunger Games and stuck with the reputation of being in love with Peeta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment